Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thought we had this Sleeping thing figured out!

It's said that a pregnant woman will sleep less and less comfortably in the last weeks of the pregnancy so that when those long sleepless night with the new baby roll around she will be ready to handle the extra stress. That is not my problem. I sleep great thanks to the memory foam mattress - which I highly recommend to anyone, especially pregnant women! My problem is that Timmy has decided to not sleep in his crib without a fight. He decided this a week ago and has been a nightmare ever since. Before, we would do our bedtime routine, have a nice snuggle in his glider, tuck him in and he'd happily roll over and doze off. Two or three nights a week he would wake up or get bored about 20 minutes later and we'd repeat the snuggle - no problem. Yes, he was still waking at night most days of the week for a quick drink and snuggle - but it was never a fight or a problem till now.

Now he dosen't want to sleep in his crib. He'll still snuggle and do his bedtime routine like always but when it comes time to put him in he starts panicing and clinging. We let him whine and carry on in the crib alone for at least a half hour before repeating. For the last few nights it's taken over an hour of crying before he'll be exhausted enough to sleep in the crib.

That wouldn't even be a huge problem if it were just that. His night wakings are affected as well. What used to be a two minute snuggle is now an agonizing experiance. He just wants to sleep on my shoulder in the glider - not comfy on the belly! Sometimes we can let him hold a favorite toy and he'll be distracted enough to go back into the crib and sleep. This morning at 4:30 it wouldn't work. Tried being nice and working with what he wanted till about 5:00 when that wasn't working we got tough and put him in regardless of the screaming. That lasted until Timmy puked because he was so mad. At 5:15 Dad climbed into the recliner with him and turned on Teletubbies. At 5:17 Tim was whining and insisting on Mom. I trade dad so he can get a little more sleep before getting up at 6:30 for work.

I wouldn't even mind waking up early if I could get a nap later in the day, but guess what! He won't nap anymore either without a car ride. I insist that he try for at least 30 minutes in the crib before anything else. Yesterday he wouldn't let me transfer him to the crib and wouldn't go back to sleep.

Agggggh! We've gone from averaging 11 hours a night and 1-2 hours of napping everyday to maybe 7-8 hours total.

Starting to get desperate, does anyone have a simialar experiance that they have solved?

9 comments:

  1. This is strictly out opinion but we think it is because he senses changes coming. He knows that things are going to change and he feels most comfortable around you guys. With Avery we really played up the fact that she is now a BIG girl. We let her do things that only BIG girls can do and she loved it. We also put her in a big girl bed, which helped her realize that she is no longer a baby. Sorry if this is no help, but it is what helped Avery. She loved also helping us get her old crib ready for the new baby. She got the baby a stuffed animal and helped mommy make the baby a blanket for the crib. I guess the biggest thing we did we to give her as much attention as possible and help her feel like mommys big girl helper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the weather there? Has it been cold and yucky like up here? I've noticed that when kids can't get outside to play as much as they used to, they don't use up as much of their energy, and then don't want to sleep. I'd stick to the routine, because come spring, when he's expending more energy, it'll be nice to still have the sleeping routine in place.

    Has he been having nightmares that you know of? Maybe something like that turned him off to his crib. Maybe offer him the option of "camping" on the floor with a blanket or sleeping bag.

    Hope that helps! The timing on this really stinks! You're going to need your strength!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no advice, but I'd just like to commiserate with you. That stinks! Sleep is precious! I wish I could come over to watch the little monster (he may be cute, but he's now reached monster status...don't worry, Cameron has reached monster status too) and let you have a nap, but you live a little too far away. Just know I'm sad for you, and I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are awesome! We've had a few days of beautiful weather this week and temps getting into the 50's. I can't tell you how happy that makes me! As for Tim, we have been letting him cry for awhile and realize that we are pretty serious about bedtime. He managed to settle himself last night - a huge improvement. He also slept the whole night, yahoo! I think you might be right about sensing that a BIG change is coming. We haven't started having night terrors yet, hope that we won't. Now I'm crossing my fingers for his naps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good! So glad it's getting better! There's nothing worse then not getting enough sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh precious sleep. Hang in there Mommy- it gets better. I agree that Timmy senses the changes coming and encouraging him to be a "Big" boy will help. Show him the advantages. We had kids 17 months apart as you know and never had more than one in a crib at a time. A toddler bed is great in our opinion! Just set the rules up front- no getting out of his room. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Jodi...I keep thinking about you hoping things are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I have no advice. Tessa is still in our bed. I don't know how we're going to do it with our new baby. Hang in there, though. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been reading the comments in earnest to see what everyone says. Just a few days after you posted this post, Lydia started wigging out on her whole sleep pattern. I would have to agree with Tovah, it is probably the change thing. What to do about it? You got me. We are just trying to make our way through it as my brother's wedding is this weekend in California. I sure hope we survive!! Anyhow, I hope things have gotten better for you and you are getting the much needed and treasured sleep!!

    ReplyDelete